Residency Permits and Visas After Graduating in Spain

March 7, 2023

Continue your stay in Spain after finishing your studies!

If you are about to finish your masters degree and receive your diploma, but your NIE is close to expiring and you want to extend your staying in Spain, here you have the residency permit options in Spain for postgraduates: 

1. Residency permit without the necessity of an employer
  • Job Search Visa.
  • Entrepreneur Visa

2. Residency permit with an employer.
  • Residency Permit for Internship programs.
  • High Qualified Worker Visa.

The difference is that the Residency Permit for Job Seekers and the Entrepreneur Visa can be requested independently from an employer, whilst in order to be able to apply for the Residency Permit for Internship Programs and the High Qualified Worker Visa it is necessary to count on an employer that requests the visa for you.

Residency permit for job seekers

This permit is offered to master or PHD students that have achieved a higher studies level recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education. It has validity for one year, un-extendable, but it allows you to apply for another kind of visa afterwards.


  • Valid Passport.
  • Copy of your TIE (Identification Card for non-Spanish residents)
  • Studies Diploma. My recommendation is that you request the complementary certificate.
  • Accreditation of the sufficient economic means to sustain yourself during your stay. If you do not have a Spanish bank account, we could speak to review your case.
  • Medical insurance of a valid entity to operate in Spain

Once the documentation has been turned in, the application can be approved for administrative silence if after 20 labor days, there has been no response.

Nevertheless, if the application for the visa has not been done correctly it could be rejected after the 20 days have passed. That is why I recommend the legal accompaniment during the procedure.

It is important to mention that the reviewed documentation is only indicative, additional documents can be requested depending on the case.

Entrepreneur Visa

To apply for this visa, the first thing you need is a solid business plan, with the capacity of job creation and that is attractive for the Spanish economy for its innovative character.

In the application, you would have to provide certificates of your academic formation and profession. Also, economic means, details of your project investors (if you have them), medical insurance and valid passport. Don’t forget to present it before the expiration date of your TIE.

The application of the Entrepreneur Visa and the Job Seeker Visa can be done autonomously, but I recommend legal advice for two reasons:

  • Sometimes, some people decide to renovate the student residency permit, and in the middle of the process they want to change their status to entrepreneur. This is a risky decision because it could be considered that the applicant lacks the required stability.
  • The Spanish Ministry of Economy will examine carefully your idea of entrepreneurship. You will have to spend time and resources on your business palan. If you do not consider the circumstances to develop a business plan, the process could be delayed.

Residency permit for internships

This permit is offered to those who have not finished their studies and want to acquire experience in their professional field.

In this case the process is required to be done by the company, which has to request an internship agreement for up to six months, or a contract up to two years for the student. Approximately, this process takes 30 days to resolve, but it usually takes longer.

If you obtain the Internship permit, the next step could be the request for the High Qualified Worker Visa.


  • Valid Passport.
  • Sufficient economic means for the period established in the permit.
  • Valid Residency card.
  • Medical insurance.

Residency Permit for Highly Qualified Workers

To apply for the Residency Permit for Highly Qualified Workers you would need to accredit your masters degree studies in a prestigious university; and a job offer of an Spanish company in a specific qualified job position., or with a directive position with employees on your charge.

  • Valid passport.
  • Valid TIE (Identification Card for non-Spanish residents) or the approval letter.
  • Updated CV in Spanish.
  • Diploma (with apostille if acquired in another country).

The procedure usually takes a month and it is valid for two years, extendable for another two years.

In all the residency options in Spain for postgraduates you may include our family, although the conditions are specific depending on the permit you obtain.

Book a virtual appointment with us if you wish to know more about your particular visa options by talking to us here! We’re here for you at Intelivisa.

Content by Gustavo Carlos Duguech Torrente. Senior Partner || Co-founder of Duguech & Dip Worldwide Legal Services. Presented at IE Business School.


*This information does not constitute under any circumstances legal advice, serving only for informational purposes. In case you need professional services in Global Immigration and Mobility, please contact us.

* It should be taken into account that the regulations of any of the countries analyzed, as well as the established procedures, may change at any time and without prior notice.

© 2022 Intelivisa. - All rights reserved.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Get in touch with us!

Frequently Asked Questions

How does the InteliVisa process work?
Who is behind InteliVisa?
Is InteliVisa a law firm?
Do I need legal help to get a visa?
Relocating or receiving InteliVisa services as a family:
Brexit and what it means for Spanish visas
Getting an internship in Spain?
Why do I need to check my eligibility before purchasing a service?
Do you offer other visas and services not listed on the platform or the website?