Get a Student Visa in Spain

March 7, 2023

Student Visas in Spain

Want to study in Spain? Or do you want to stay here and continue absorbing more knowledge? The student visa may be your ticket!

At Intelivisa, we accompany you in obtaining your student visa! But first, what exactly is this type of document? The student visa is a permit authorizing non-EU citizens to stay in Spain for the duration of their studies.

If you are from a developing country wishing to pursue a bachelor's, master's, postgraduate or doctoral degree, or carry out academic research, we also have your back! You must apply for a student visa and prove that you will be studying in approved centers.

Types of student visas 

The student visa must be applied to by non-European Union citizens. However, if the stay for studies is less than 90 days it is not a requirement to apply for the permit. Since the studies may be carried out with a tourist visa depending on the applicant’s country of origin. 

  • Short-term student visa: for foreigners who have a study stay of 91 to 180 days in Spain. 
  • Long-term student visa: in case the study period is longer than six months. 
  • Student visa for more than one year: it is possible to apply for a student visa for stays of more than one year, however, for this permit it is necessary to apply for a renewable residence card. 

The student visa application process  

To apply for a student visa in Spain, the following requirements must be met: 

  • Not being a citizen of the European Union. 
  • Legal stay in Spain. 
  • Certify sufficient income or funds to live on during the period of study. 
  • Have full medical insurance coverage in Spain. 
  • Have in your possession a letter of admission from the authorized study center before making the application. 
  • Certificate of criminal record. 
  • If required, the homologation or validation of the university degree. 
  • Required documentation legalized and translated into Spanish if necessary. 

You can apply your student visa in Spain, for example, if you have a tourist visa, or in the country of origin at the Spanish consulate. The application must be made within a maximum period of 90 days prior to the start of the course and not less than 30 days before. 

The applicant will be able to carry out the procedure personally or through a lawyer by means of an authorization in notary’s office. 

The application is quite fast. After sending the application, the authorization response will be given within a maximum period of one month. 

Study and work in Spain 

As of July 2022, students can now work 30 hours per week while they study. They can also get an internship which also offers the possibility of extending their student permit, or transitioning towards making an application for a work permit. The following options are available for internships: 

  • Study-related internships: In this case a signed agreement between the educational institution and the company is required. It is also very important to consider that the remuneration received for these internships does not count as sufficient funds to live in Spain. 
  • Extracurricular internships: In this case, it is the company that must apply for a work authorization at the Immigration Office. 

If one would require changing a study permit to a residence work permit, students are now eligible to do so after finishing the first year of their studies:

  • The work residence permit can be obtained 60 days prior to the expiration of the study permit or within 90 days thereafter. 

How to renew the student visa? 

The student visa can be renewed 60 days prior to the expiration of the permit or within 90 days thereafter. 

For the renewal the applicant will be asked to meet the same requirements as in the initial procedure such as sufficient financial means for the extension of stay, medical insurance, etc. The main document to apply for a student visa renewal is the certificate of satisfactory completion of studies. 

The student must submit the application to the Immigration Office, which will respond within three months. 

Do you know if your visa allows you to study the master’s degree you want so much? Has your visa expired and you are out of time to renew it? At Intelivisawe provide you with the legal advice and the options you need. Schedule an appointment with us by signing up or booking a consultation. We’re waiting for you! 


*This information does not constitute under any circumstances legal advice, serving only for informational purposes. In case you need professional services in Global Immigration and Mobility, please contact us.

* It should be taken into account that the regulations of any of the countries analyzed, as well as the established procedures, may change at any time and without prior notice.

© 2022 Intelivisa. - All rights reserved.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Get in touch with us!

Frequently Asked Questions

How does the InteliVisa process work?
Who is behind InteliVisa?
Is InteliVisa a law firm?
Do I need legal help to get a visa?
Relocating or receiving InteliVisa services as a family:
Brexit and what it means for Spanish visas
Getting an internship in Spain?
Why do I need to check my eligibility before purchasing a service?
Do you offer other visas and services not listed on the platform or the website?